Thursday, May 27, 2010

Don't worry, we're OK

Hello,

Devon and I are coming up on finishing our first year here, and I was in the middle of writing a post looking back when I got a bunch of messages from friends and family back home all asking essentially the same thing: "Are you alive?"  So I figured I'd deal with those first.


This whole incident started back at the end of March when a SK warship the Cheonan broke in two and sank after an explosion near the Northern Limit Line (the maritime border between the two countries-disputed by the North since it was unilaterally drawn by the Americans after the Korean War), killing 46 South Korean sailors.  Reportedly, it was highest number of South Koreans killed in military action since the end of the Korean War.


After a lengthy investigation, the South formally accused the North of sinking the ship (not that the outcome was ever in doubt, a ship blows up in disputed waters along the most militarized border on the planet, and you'd be forgiven for jumping to conclusions).  Reaction was swift: propaganda speakers were erected (threats were made to blow them up), economic ties were cut (except for a multi-million dollar joint venture industrial park at Kaesong), and the US Secretary of State planned a visit to Seoul.  All very serious stuff.

So I stand on the front lines of one of the more recent international crises in history, and I have to wonder - should I be scared?  I decided to ask some people who had more experience dealing with an unstable tyrant - my Korean partner teachers.

"Do not worry," said Alex, the director of my school.  "It is just Lee Myung-bak (the President of Korea) trying to scare the old people into voting for his party."  I remembered that Korean provincial elections are June 2nd, and immediately had flashbacks to 2004 and the constantly changing terrorist threat level.

"It is not something to think about," said Luna at lunch.  "I think about when will I get married?  When to have a baby.  What the weather will be like."  (At first I thought she meant for the weekend, but later I realized she meant global warming).

"This always happens," said Mickey.  "We are used to it.  Every three or four years, something happens.  And it never leads to war.  Only arguing."

"It is the same thing always," Ellie reiterated.  "Every time there is an election, the politicians exploit it to scare the people into voting."

Jay just laughed at me and started making plans for the weekend.

I looked out the window and realized that I hadn't heard the squadron of fighter jets fly over Gwangju any more than was normal.  Seoul was still bustling, and the local mega mart hadn't yet sold out of duck tape.  For now, I feel fine.

No comments: