Thursday, August 31, 2006

These people dont kid around when it comes to weather...

So the rainy season started officially today.

I know, I know, you're thinking "Wait, isn't the rainy season supposed to last from July to October? How can it just now be starting?"

Actually, you probably weren't thinking anything close to that, maybe something closer to "I'm hungry" or "I wonder what Mr (fill in the blank) is going to give us for homework tomorrow" or "Oh crap, did I feed Ms. (fill in the blank again)'s cats yesterday?"

But the rainy season officially started today.

This morning, I awoke to the sound of hurricane force winds blowing outside my window. It was like the screaling lamb baby from last Sunday morning, only calmer, and gentler. Then the rain started. It probably rained for a good two or three hours. And man, I don't mean none of that gentle summer rain. I don't even mean one of those torrential cloudbursts that pass lasts ten, maybe fifteen minutes and then passes to leave the world thoroughly quenched and a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. This was hurricane-type stuff (or at least what I'd imagined the hurricane type stuff to be like...)

It wasn't only raining cats and dogs, but rats and mice, cockroaches, goats, cows, horses, donkeys, baby lambs (we killed it!), and every other type of livestock imaginable. And the thing about Africa is - they've got plenty of animals.

Luckily it stopped right as I was about to leave for school so the walk to school didn't make the shower I took that morning redundant.

One thing I will never, ever again take for granted: sewage and water drainage systems.

I felt like Christopher Columbus, or Ferdinand Magellan traversing the seven seas of the world, and that was just on my way out of my neighborhood. It seemed that every potential exit was blocked by
puddles with names like "the dirty sea," "ocean of soggy shoes," and "the sea of lets-hope-that-car-doesnt-drive-too-close-to-the-curb-or-else-ill-get-more-than-a-little-bit-wet." I had to ford not only the river, but the whole damn panama canal (luckily no oxen died along the way, just my shoes got a little bit wet).

Anyways, I made it out safely (and for the most part pretty dry). I could have taken a cab (in fact one guy came up to me and actually offered me a ride - people are so nice here...or just think that toubabs are a) lazy and c)throw their money around), but what fun would that have been seriously? In order to ensure that it doesn't rain for the rest of the day, I brought my raincoat (because you know things just work like that here).

Pictures should be coming soon...check back in a bit...

Anyways, It's class time. Talk to you soon in'challa
Love,
Jake

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are you rolling your r's yet? (or is that just the accent in cote d'ivoire?)